Saturday, May 24, 2014

Shoegaze that mourns (Review for Agalloch's Ashes Against The Grains)


What can I say, Shoegaze influenced dark metal which people call atmospheric black metal is the most diverse and melancholy genre that I ever heard of. A loyal fan for many years, Its a part of my nature; I am like a nomad in the search of beacon passing through the hazy moor since many moon ago. What this soothing music gives me is an endless calm with loads of misery, at least I can escape from my fate rousing inside with endless tears. Agalloch was the first band along with Alcest (I remember) that introduced me to this doomy melody, before that I usually listened German based folk act Empyrium and others. My affection to this sacred music doesn't allow me yet to write about the album. huhuh!

'Ashes Against The Grain' is the third full-length from the Portland based act. The album was dedicated to Christoph Florian Rehse of Gothenburg scene's Escape The Day who committed suicide in 2005. John Haughm is the front-man, the genius behind all the lyrical content. As I do write lyrical themes inspired from the same phenomenon and circumstances, The lyrics need a big applause first; each track in the album is totally concept based which is very rare among the bands. The guitars are perfectly balanced creating dirge. The acoustic work truly truly suits the pattern. Vocals are like the laments while the hearse passes by. I really appreciate the drum work which is so prominent and doesn't fade apart in the raw riffs.



The album contains eight tracks out of which three are instrumentals. The prologue starts with 'Limbs' (my favourite track), the song should be listened in a narcotic silence so one can better feel the sorrowful tune. 'Falling Snow' is yet another masterpiece that leads you to the bleak winters. 'Fire above, Ice below, 'Not Unlike The Waves' & 'Bloodbirds (Our Fortress Is burning...II)' are something that has a depressive placebo effect that rectifies the person's solitude for a time. Instrumentals are awful too, amazing sort of work.
To me, Its a perfect art that can enrich sorrow but descends the austere.

The review later published on  with the name 'Shoegaze That Mourns' on 5-06-14 & can be found here: Shoegaze That Mourns



1 comment:

  1. It was the German Escape the Day, not the Swedish one. Needs to be changed.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive